Visual Research



Studio Setup

Post Editing / Photo Manipulation

Read My Process Photoshoot was originally a class project from General Assembly's Visual Design class I took August 2016. is a music app that delivers personalized music playlists based on a questionnaire users fill out at the beginning of their registration. I designed a landing page for the product, and instead of using existing photography online, I decided to take on my own photography process.

With 1-week time constraint, this photoshoot was scheduled and executed over a labor day weekend. The photos were picked, edited and Photoshopped by the following week for usage on the website. Special shoutout to Miguel, Ning, and Waverly for making this possible with such short notice and for giving permission to show these photos. <3 Check out more of my photography work at @boomnbust


1 - Visual Research & Moodboards

Starting out by looking at competitors such as Pandora, Spotify, SoundCloud, and Apple Music, I want to make sure the visual language of is serving an area of potential users that are not specifically addressed in the current competitive landscape.

I created two different moodboards using photos from Stocksy, Cory Marriot, and Designspiration to explore possibilities of what can be as a brand personality— earthy, relaxing, introspective, or passionate, bold, and unapologetic. I eventually went with the passionate moodboard as it emits a more explicitly positive emotion.

2 - Questionnaire

One essential aspect I want to tackle for this photoshoot is capturing unique and even eccentric personality unique to each model I work with. The concept is that everyone represents a unique pattern based on the music they love.

I created a quick online survey targeting music lovers who were interested in being a model for the shoot.

The survey contains questions such as "what are your favorite genres?", "what is the song you have been listening to on repeat?", and "if you were on a fashion runway, what would your outfit look like?". Upon receiving responses, I schedule a call with the models to chat with them more about their personality and outfit choices.

3 - Photoshoot

With my Cannon 600D/T3i, I set up 1 soft box against a white wall to create a soft shadow. With their favorite music playing in the background. I asked models to fully immerse themselves in the music and rhythm. 

4 - Post Processing

5 - In Situ Final Product

Post Mortem

Overall, I was happy with the outcome and the primary color scheme that represents the elemental aspect of musical personality. One thing that I could have done more is maybe pushing further the diversity of musical personality and ethnicity as an attempt to make concept of people as patterns clearer.

One of the main element I am pushing in the final photoshop rendering was eccentricity. I would like to raise the freak flag and "the nonsensical" a little higher by experimenting with graphical elements overlaying the photography. I also would like to experiment more on different color schemes.